Sunday 14 November 2010

A partying robin

I should have posted this yesterday, but ran out of time after having the night of my life. On Saturday morning I flew West again to Cardrona Forest near Peeble. Here is a picture from the Forestry Commission.


It was quite peaceful up in the trees for most of the day, and I managed to keep myself amused. Then, as the day drew to a close, I noticed a sudden surge of red squirrels and birds through the trees. It was nothing much to begin with, then grew bigger and bigger.

I decided to follow them through the forest to see what was happening.

There, in a clearing, was a marvellous site. Not only squirrels and birds, but deer, foxes, badgers, all gathered together. Talking, chewing on mushrooms, supping drinks from cups made of bark. It became immediately apparent that I had stumbled on some kind of party!

The evening flew by. It turned out that this forest is seen as something of a show ground, and most of the animals come here at the weekend to celebrate and relax. With winter drawing in, they were heading off to their respective homes, and the performers and residents were having one last party. We drank dew, ate nuts and berries, and I met a few red squirrels who I made friends with.

I also picked up some evidence that most of my friends have been using something called Facebook, so I need to get on there as well. It was a long evening, and I ended up sleeping late today. Making plans for my next flight, although I do need to find somewhere to stop soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment