Sunday 31 October 2010

Hurrah! A better day

One of the problems with being a small bird no bigger than the average human's hand is that it's very difficult to carry around a camera. So I am indebted to the large number of people who post photos from the places I have visited. This photo, for example, is taken by AnnaKika on Flickr, and shows Galloway Forest Park.






This is where I went today, and it was a humdinger.

After my drenching last time, I was a bit nervous about heading to somewhere new. The cold weather doesn't help much, but the generoristy of people with their nut feeders helped.

I landed in the forest at maybe 11am. Very few people around, as you would expect, but the forest was alive with the chitter chatter of various animals going about their business. As always, the deer were making the most noise as they showed off their antlers to eachother, talking in faux-cockney accents, and generally acting as if they owned the place.

I moved to a quieter part of the forest, and saw a friendly looking group of squirrels up ahead. There must have been four or five or them, and it looked like some kind of stock take. With winter fast approaching, they were needing to sort out their nuts as soon as possible.

Despite the pushing need to arrange their winter, they still took the time to talk to me, offer some seeds, and a shelter for the night. Their leader, Dee, was particularly helpful. Leaving them to their stock take, I took a fly around the forest, and spent the day marvelling at the countryside before heading back to a warm reception, some soft ferns to sleep on, and a banquet of acorns and stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment